1.5
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

Advantage Rent A Car (soon to be merged with EZ) is the only unfortunate part of our most recent vacation to Colorado. We booked through Expedia and after checking a few reviews and with friends/family, went ahead and pulled the trigger through Advantage. Big mistake. Details will be included below the review so that you can make up your own mind.

This Advantage location will lie and deceive in order to make the up sell. Corporate will then cower behind legal and disregard customer service in all attempts to not reimburse for what is borderline illegal activity. Customer Service told me over the phone that what the agent did was wrong and that I would be reimbursed, only to have another agent later tell me that were not going to do this. Anyway, about the location, you are given a signature pad and asked if you want this, this or that (all up sells). Then you are told to sign over and over again on the signature pad. You can't actually see what you are signing.

My wife and I have rented all kinds of cars from all across the country and we have NEVER had an experience as abysmal as Advantage Rent A Car. I recommend you stay away from this company at all costs.

-------------------------------------------

Details:

Checked in at 3:30pm on Thursday, October 1, 2015. We were in line behind 7 other people. It took 15 minutes to get to Chris, who seemed very kind. He asked a few GTKY questions and after telling him we were thinking of driving up Pike's Peak, he told us that he would upgrade our vehicle to a full size for free to make the mountain easier to traverse.

Then he asked us if we wanted standard or premium insurance (since he didn't present it like I had the option of saying none, I said standard. Shame on me for that one.) Then he tried to sign us up for the prepaid fuel charge without asking. I told him no and he took it off. He then told us that we needed to get the EZ Toll because it is impossible to drive in Denver and Colorado Springs without hitting tolls and ALL TOLLS ARE $6.99. (After leaving, we did some Googling and called a few friends who all informed us that this was a total lie. There are TWO toll roads in the Denver/Colorado Springs area and they are easy to avoid.)

Our first car was nasty. It looked like someone took a container of ice cream, rubbed down the seats with it and left the car in a Houston parking lot for a few days. When I went back in, he changed the car quickly and we were on our way. Since we didn't see a toll tag or anything, we asked the employee at the gate as we were leaving if we were supposed to get a toll tag. He didn't know what we were talking about. After a few minutes of trying to communicate what we were asking, I gave up, said thank you, and went on our way.

After arriving at the hotel in Colorado Springs, we noticed that there was only one toll road so we did some more research. Finding that we already had rental insurance on our personal coverage and that the EZ Toll figures were grossly misrepresented, we called corporate customer service and spoke to Enrique at 9:30 am on Friday, October 2. He was sincerely concerned for our experience and told us that he had already filed an internal complaint against Chris and sent a report up to the higher ups. I asked him to remove the insurance (collision damage waiver), EZ Toll pass, prepaid fuel charge. Then I asked that he recalculate the taxes and we will happily pay that amount for the use of the vehicle. He told us (quote) "rest assured that these charges will be dropped." He also informed us that someone would call about our account within 72 hours.

After waiting more than 72 hours, I contacted corporate customer service again, asking why I wasn't contacted when I was promised. I spoke briefly to Martha at 9:05 am, who told me that there was a note on the account that someone from corporate would be contacting me by email no later than Wednesday, October 15. So again, I said thank you, and waited.

In the meantime, a charge of $384.10 hits my account. Keep in mind that I have 2 documents from the car company. One says "Contract Details" and the other says "Rental Record". The amount quoted from them says $462.74 and $477.65. My original rental quote was for $180.30.

Well, October 15 came and went with no contact from Advantage Rent A Car. So I called again. On October 16 at 3:40 pm, Nadia told me that with the corporate merger, sometimes corporate is a little slow in responding. So she gave me their number (I thought I was always talking to corporate, but whatever.) If you have already been through some of this and are stuck chasing your tail with customer service, the corporate number is 407-674-1006.

Shoot, running out of allotted room to type. The final was that since I initialed the contract, they would not refund any money and sorry for ya. It doesn't matter to them that the representative lied to me. If you still choose to deal with Advantage, you do so at your own risk.

This reviewer shared experience about poor customer service and wants this business to issue a full refund as the author lost $213. The author is overall dissatisfied with Advantage Rent A Car. Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Advantage Rent A Car.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Rentals category for more informed decision or compare Advantage Rent A Car to other companies on our site.

Had an Experience with Advantage Rent A Car?

Comments